Intro | Map 1 | Map 2 | Map 3 | Map 4 | Map 5 | Map 6 | Map 7
1a | 1b | 1c | 1d | 1e | 1f | 1g | 1h
- When you enter this area you hear a child's sobbing, then you are warned that hungry wolves are closing in on you. After two warnings a wolf attacks.
Taffy is sitting paralyzed with fear by the north wall. Use charisma to make her come with you. If you have rescued Freddi, she joins you automatically.
Climb the cliff face to enter the cave. You need to have a torch equipped or it will be pitch dark inside.
- When you walk up to the hobbit child (a), a giant hunting spider appears and attacks. Freddi joins you automatically when it is dead. Get the star key and the axe, and read the scroll. You learn two things: that Druin's uncle was a messenger to Bilbo from the re-established kingdom of Khazad-dûm; and that Balin was not the most imaginative of letter-writers.
- Jump the chasm to the west and use the star key to open the door (b). This is the tomb of Amonar, youngest son of King Arveleg I of Arthedain. When you walk up to the ghostly statue, the 'Get' dialog opens automatically (in the enhanced version of the game). Do not touch anything yet, or the ghost will hack you to pieces! Read the inscription and use the star key again. Answer Yes to the ghost's question, and now that you have the Ghostking's blessing, get the Ghost ruby and the silver pennies.
- Athelas grows on the south side of this tree. Get three doses.
For each leaf of athelas that you trade to the Healer, each member of the Fellowship heals 1–10 Life points.
|Taffy||Wolf/Dog/Bad Dog, Freddi, Cave|| ||
- The easiest way to get rid of a wolf is to trade rations to it (and then attack it, or just press X, to end your turn). The wolf abandons the fight. Another way is to have Frodo equip the Ring and approach the beast to draw its attention, while the others flee in the opposite direction. With any luck, the wolf starts running in circles round the invisible Ringbearer, unable to get at him. When the others are gone the confused critter abandons the fight. Note, though, that each time Frodo puts the Ring on, he loses one point of Will.
- If you choose the wrong starting place for the climb to the cave, you fall and land in a heap at the bottom of the cliff (unhurt). The 'bad' spot is north of the very centre of the cave, close to where Freddi's jacket is.
- An unused string in the data for the Shire map may have been meant for the Perception skill when you find Freddi: 'A hobbit child is bound in sticky spider webs. A large dark form hovers over him.'
- Tolkien does not mention any ruins in the Shire, but given the fact that the king of Arthedain had farms and vineyards in the area, the addition seems plausible enough. Also, with the old ruins 'built by the King long ago', the game designers saw to it that the athelas plants grow near a place where the Dúnedain dwelt of old, as one might expect!